Our mission is to strengthen prosperity for members and the business community by providing leadership, education, advocacy and networking opportunities.
Our vision is to be the leading resource for creating a thriving business community.
The communities we serve include Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain, Scripps Ranch, and beyond.
The Poway Chamber of Commerce: A Rich History
Beginning as a citizen’s group on April 7, 1950, The Poway Chamber of Commerce has played an active role in the local community and has served as a significant partner in volunteerism, community planning, and economic development. Under the leadership of a volunteer Board of Directors, the Chamber staff and members continue to honor the traditions of the past and are committed to the future economic growth of San Diego County.
During the past 70+ years, the Poway Chamber has provided the following services to the community and its members:
- Legislative Advocacy at the Local, State, and Federal levels
- Business Education Seminars & Counseling
- Business & Community Events
- Economic Development & "Shop Local" programs
- Business promotion and referrals
- Connecting businesses with local non-profits
· April 7, 1950: First meeting to organize
· 1954: Water Committee appointed & was successful in bringing Colorado River water to Poway
· 1955: Poway Chamber publishes the “News Chieftain” a four-page community paper with volunteers
· 1957: First Edition of the Poway Chamber Telephone Directory
· 1968: The Chamber instigated the formation of the Poway Planning & Development Committee whose purpose was to develop a general master plan of the area.
· 1978: Seven Poway Attorneys opened the “Poway Free Advice Clinic” at the Chamber
· 1979: First female President of the Board was elected
· 1986: First Poway “Shop-Local” program created with the slogan “Shop Awhile for your Poway Country Smile”
· December 2007: The Chamber & the City of Poway begin a new “Shop-Local” program called “Poway Your First Choice”. Street banners, newspaper ads, & specific web-site have been part of the program.
· September 2009: First Poway Days Festival a “street-fair” event attracting over 15,000 people to Poway for a day.
· October 2012: Facilitated the first "Candidates Forum" in conjunction with the Green Valley Civic Association, and involving candidates for Poway Mayor, City Council, and Poway Unified School District.
· February 2014: First Annual Mickey Cafagna Memorial Golf Classic
· 2018: Facilitated the first "Internship Collaboration" with local businesses and the Poway Unified School District
· December 2019: Founded the "Eat Big, Tip Big" campaign, which promoted local eateries and offered a 90-day free trial for restaurants in the wake of the "water boil advisory" in Poway which caused many restaurants to close their doors for a period of time.
· March 2020: Adapted to the challenges of the unexpected COVID-19 pandemic, pivoting to virtual meetings, mixers, and events and continuing to provide the best value possible to members
· Summer 2020: Collaborated with the City of Poway to provide free COVID signage kits to Poway businesses and beyond (both members and non-members). The signage kits included two self-adhering "Masks Required" signs for outdoor and indoor use and 6 floor decals to promote social distancing within businesses.
· October 2020: First annual Play Nine & Dine Golf Tournament featured 9 rounds of golf and drawing prizes; this was the first in-person member event (albeit outdoors) that took place since the pandemic began.
· January 2021: 70th Anniversary celebration is launched!